Wednesday, October 5, 2011

My First Gigs!

Well what a productive few days I have had!

On Tuesday morning I dragged my butt out of bed IT WAS COLD and went for a baby run with Sarah.  I say that because we could only go a mile because we both had to get home and get ready.  I got all dressed up and headed out to my first meeting of the day.

I get in the building and its a huge casting office, I meet with a casting director (Rich) who checks out my resume and gives me an email address to send my information to.  He was my resume, headshot, and sizes for an extra role in a TV show on ABC set in the 60's.  If you have Google or watch TV you would know what this means... PAN AM!  Woo!  Which actually is not that big of a deal here because every actor in NYC has been an extra on Pan Am (okay so that's an exaggeration but they shoot here so it isn't hard to get on the show) but hey, its pretty cool that I could possibly be on a show that all of you have heard of!  Haha.

Afterward I head home for a quick lunch and lay down cause I'm pooped (side note: THANK GOD I DON'T HAVE TO DRIVE A CAR ANYMORE!!  The subway rocks my face off and I would rather ride it for hours than ever drive again.  Hell yes.)

And I head out for my 2nd acting job of the day.  I am working with Sasha (NYU film student) and Brittany (actress) on a scene for Sasha's class.  We have a short scene and we meet in a rehearsal room and go over it.  It is always good to keep practicing and learning and the girls are fun and it is a very quick thing, we read the scene today and we are shooting it the next day!  I play the "detective" interrogating Brittany's character about her ex-husband.  After a two hour rehearsal I head outside and across the street to Washington Square Park.

I sit in the square for about 45 minutes just people watching.  (I thought about sketching but forgot my sketchbook!  Fail!)  It is such an amazing city.  There are so many people and I love that.  I saw a little boy running around picking up pennies his mom had thrown out, and a hobo sleeping on a bench, and a bunch of film students working on a project.  When I got hungry I headed home, ate some dinner, and then spent about two and a half hours Skyping with my other half, Netty!!!!!  It was so nice to chat with her and be goofy and I just love her so much.  We also had a three way.. haha.. with Ashley!!!  But she couldn't stay long cause she had to go teach her Koreans.
And that was basically my night.  I'm such a good kid here in NYC.  Focused and ready to sleep so I can get up and WORK WORK WORK!

Today I got up early IT WAS COLD AGAIN OMG!  But actually it was like 70 today in the city, so it did warm up... and I got ready for my shoot.  I headed to NYU again... had some issues getting there.  I never know where to go when I get out of the subway haha thank god for smartphones!
We basically had 40 minutes to shoot our scene, which was roughly two pages.  It was crazy and fast and it was fun to be in front of the camera again.  Plus, I will get a copy of the scene by Wed. so hopefully it turns out well and I can put it on here and on my website!  Brittany and I had a good time and now I have a few more contacts here in the city.
I headed home around 11 and had a delicious and filling lunch, which is a big deal here because I am definitely a starving artist (any food donations are welcome).  On my walk home I got a call from Joanna, a casting director, who wanted to use me as an extra that night!  Perfect.  I booked my FIRST PAID GIG and then I went for a run!  Definitely a little out of shape, this summer I was up to six miles as my maximum and the 2.7 I did today was rouuuuugh.  I ran to the park and then turned around, got to see some more of the city and got a little exercise go me!
After a shower I headed to the restaurant we were shooting at and worked for an hour, basically sat at the bar and made it look full.  I can't give too many details but I did meet a girl named Jill who is going to get ahold of me to go out (new friends oh yah) and the bartender who was an actor (of course) was awesome, so I gave him my card.  Turns out they were hiring so I got a card and emailed the manager my information.  Cross your fingers that I get an interview!
Finally it was time to head home.  Dinner and another round of applying for auditions.  I also got a call for a meeting for a modeling shoot that is happening I KNOW MOM I AM BEING CAREFUL she is convinced I am going to get murdered from a shady deal.  But you never know if you don't try.  The building I am going to is a huuuuuge building in the middle of the city and very legit so as long as I see people I'm gonna go check it out.

OH MY GOD I forgot to tell you I HAVE A CALLBACK!!!!  For the princess audition I did, go figure.  Yay!
So yes, things are happening :) I am loving it here.  I really like the apartment, even though I don't have a real room yet haha but I can see living here.  It is nice to have Sarah and Jacob around and I'm making friends and I just LOVE walking through the city.  So much to see and to do!  I honestly don't know how I lived anywhere else, but hey, its only my first week ;)

Now if only Papa and Mom and sisters and Netty and everyone else would come out and live here too.  Then NYC would be perfection.
But until then I'm just gonna enjoy the fact that I don't have to drive and that every day I'M CHASING MY DREAM BABY!!!
<3

No comments:

Post a Comment