Tuesday, March 5, 2013

We Got More Bounce in California

Wow have I had a crazy month.  I feel like I have been going, going, going since I started my new job.  Right after my last post I jetted off to Portland, Oregon where I visited the amazing family of Ella, Abby and Ben.  I was a nanny for Ella since she was 2 years old and they flew me in as a surprise for her 7th birthday!  I was so excited to see her and nothing compares to her face when I walked in the door.  I spent the week hanging with that awesome family and seeing some of Oregon, which is a gorgeous and green state.  We had Ella's birthday party at an art studio and got to paint and play with clay.  We went out to dinner and Ella and I danced a lot, and also got in the Jacuzzi overlooking the foothills of Portland.  She tried to teach me how to whistle (I still can't!) and it was so fun to visit her.  She's getting so big!  And I feel amazingly lucky to have such a wonderful second family to hang out with.

I can't believe she is 7!
Two Princesses on party day
Amazing view from the deck and jacuzzi
BFF's for LIFE
I just had such a wonderful time and I feel so blessed to have such a great connection with the Rogoway's and their daughter.  I can't WAIT to go on another trip and visit, although I wish Ella would stop growing up so fast!

After a nice long week in Oregon I flew back and went to training and worked my first day as a clown and LOVED it.  Don't get me wrong, the job is pretty exhausting because you spend your whole day trying to herd children and be super energetic but it's a thousand times better than any job I've had before.  Waitressing is exhausting and makes you want to die.  Never.  Again.

I spent a low key night on Sunday, had some dinner and watched the Superbowl.  The rest of the week was consumed by an intense sinus infection that caused me to call out of work twice and eventually drove me to the doctor.  That week I tried to get better but the weekend was miserable anyway.  I didn't want to call out on my second weekend of working and being happy, bubbly, and energetic when you're swimming in a head cold is ridiculously not fun.

That next week, although I was still feeling kinda gross, I made it out to book club with the Chi Omega's.  Our host was arriving late so I ended up opening the champagne which made me smile because no matter where you go, you're always at home in a Chi O's house.  The book we read (The Paris Wife) was a historical fiction based on Ernest Hemingway's first wife and was totally amazing.  After way too many chocolate brownies I headed home and passed out.

The biggest news from that week was that I took a professional organizer out to lunch.  Some of you may not know that I've always had a passion for organizing other people's stuff, which is part of the reason I loved earning my interior design degree.  While I LOVE acting, part of me really hates the grind that is required if you live in NYC.  Or maybe I just hate NYC.  Still working on that part.  But what I'm saying is I'm also interested in organizing and even have some experience here in the city.  I took Lilli out to lunch and picked her brain for how she got up and running.  Basically, she said to just start doing it, which was awesome advice.  So if any of you in the NYC area need something organized, let me know!

I spent the rest of the weekend working and attempting to get better because on Monday morning I flew to California!

California was AMAZING.  Our only complaint was that we somehow managed to get a coldish, rainy week squeezed between two gorgeous weeks, but whatever it was warmer than the east coast.

I got on the Hertz bus to go to the rental place and magically ended up on the same one as Amy.  We  had an amazing reunion on the bus which I'm sure freaked out some other patrons and then picked up our Mustang convertible, which we drove with the top down even though it was overcast and 60 degrees.
California Girls
We were crashing in Long Beach with a guy I met through Couch Surfing which is a website for traveler's to host and surf around the world.  Now, at this point I was totally exhausted from working all weekend, being sick, and flying.  I managed to convince Amy that I was on the brink of dying and she left me to take a nap while she explored the beach.  I woke up three hours later with no more headache and totally pumped for the movie premiere that night.
We got dressed and headed to West Hollywood to Grauman's Chinese Theater.  Before we went in the theater we met up with a bunch of cast mates and the director.  Our director had a camera and was taking footage and interviews to put on the extras on the DVD.  You can see the video here.  Notice what special actress gets to talk ;) Haha.  Amy walked the red carpet and also was the BEST boyfriend, holding coats, purses, and taking pictures.
My name on the poster!
BFF's in front of the poster
Cast and the director
We went in to see the movie and the theater was HUGE.  The movie was hilarious and very good.  Amy and I were dying every time I came on screen.  I am ridiculously mean in the movie and a totally cliche cheerleading bitch.  It's awesome.
After the movie Amy and I headed out to Santa Monica to meet up with Eric, one of my friends I met while living in Europe.  It was so good to see him again especially since it has been about four years!  Travel buddy bonds don't break though and Amy and I enjoyed having a chill bar night with him and shooting the shit.  We got home late and woke up early because our schedules were so messed up from the time change.  We got dressed in hiking clothes and headed out to Runyon Canyon.
We parked the car and ended up at a little cafe where we got a breakfast sandwich.  We drove around looking for a tourist trappy store to buy junky hats in because it was going to rain and were surprised how hard it was to find one!  We finally did and bought some awesome, tacky, rhinestone L.A. hats.
Sometimes it's hard to be this cool
We walked around Runyon Canyon and it was beautiful even if it was a bit overcast.  There was some awesome bird watching and great views.  It did end up raining on us a bit but we didn't care.

Runyon Canyon
After hiking all morning we were starving so we decided to head to Roscoe's Chicken n Waffles because EVERYONE said we had too!  We decided to split the traditional chicken n waffles and some mac n cheese.  It was super delicious and just what we needed after hiking out in the overcast, chilly weather.  Then we went to the observatory to check out the Hollywood sign.  It was far away, and getting colder, so we took a picture and headed back to our room and then passed out for about 3 hours.  We were going to get ready and go out except it was rainy and cold and we were tired so we just decided to go to bed.

Tiny Hollywood sign in the background
The next morning we got up super early and went to Starbucks for Amy's birthday.  After coffee we drove to Palos Verdes and went hiking along the Pacific Ocean up on a trail about 50 feet above the coastline.  It was really beautiful and we could see a ton of hawks and pelicans flying all over.



After our hike we drove to Venice and Amy dropped me at the beach while she got her hair cut.  I waded in to the water because I'm obsessed with swimming and wished I had a wet suit and a surfboard.  When I got bored of watching surfers I headed to the boardwalk and when I got bored of homeless people I walked to In 'n Out burger.  Yes, the burger was good.  The fries were terrible though.

Venice Beach
Amy picked me up and we got back to the house where we got dressed up, packed up our stuff, and headed out to West Hollywood.  We met up with her friends Hillary and Castro for sushi.  We sat at our table for awhile and the waiter gave us free birthday shots and we had some delicious food and conversation.  Afterward we headed to the club where we met up with our hosts Ken and Robert and danced to this weird European DJ.

Birthday girl!
Bottle service from the ceiling
We crashed at Hillary's house that night and in the morning got up and went to the Griddle House and had an amazing breakfast.  Amy got a red velvet pancake and I got Nutella french toast.  It was to die for.  I also got the number of a cute waiter who was from Michigan, he had a Detroit hat on... now I have a great excuse to go back to L.A. ;)
We took the rest of the day to drive up the Pacific Coast Highway and go to Malibu where we went hiking at Point Dume.  The point overlooks the ocean and was super gorgeous.  I hiked back down to the beach and went climbing through tide pools like a child, poking starfish and sticking my nose almost in the water.  The best part was when I saw two sea lions swimming in the surf right off the beach!  So amazing.

We drove back to Santa Monica and met up with my friend Sig.  He was nice enough to let us take showers and then pass out in his living room with the lights on for two hours.  We woke up, got some Red Bull, and went out for our last  night.  We bar hopped, drank tequila, met up with some more of Sig's friends, and had a great time.  Except when the photo booth wouldn't print us pictures, what a bummer!  After passing out we  woke up at 7am to get the car back to the rental place.  It was super sad to leave California, but I loved it and I'll definitely go back and visit.  Maybe this summer?

The rest of the time I've been home I've been watching Sabrina the Teenage Witch and clowning and working in the haunt.  I got moved to a new position in the haunted house which I love!  I'm working in the lobby which means I take tickets and give the rules to the guests before they enter the haunt.  I like it because it's more of a show and has a lot more customer interaction.  Also, people think I'm totally creepy and it's awesome.  Maybe because I stare at them, and don't answer their questions, and have blood running down my face.

Boo.
On Friday it was Ashley's birthday!  I got her some sweet balloons and her mom got her an edible arrangement which was surprisingly delicious.  Maybe we should eat more fruit here.  We went to 16 Handles for birthday FroYo and when we told the cashier it was Ashley's birthday he gave us both of ours for free!  How awesome!  We headed back to our apartment and were super excited when our friends from Adrian Rob and Mike came over to celebrate with us.  It was an awesome reunion and we drank some beers and just hung out.

The rest of the weekend I worked and have been just laying around.  I decided to be a person today and maybe actually do my dishes.  We'll see.

So overall life in New York is pretty good.  I really enjoy both my jobs, I love my good friends, and having Ashley as a roommate.  But I definitely do not see myself living here forever.  New York is a great city but not the right place for me.  So I've decided to start my countdown by doing all my adventure cards.  Adventure cards are this pack of 52 cards I got from Sarah before she left.  Originally, I started doing them with Amy but she moved away, wah.  I figured this will get me out seeing the city and that way I'll feel like I've really seen it all before I go.  Now, I've thought a bit about when I'm leaving and I don't think it will be for awhile but knowing that it's happening already makes me feel better.

So here are the adventure cards I've already done.  The Upper East Side, Meatpacking, Staten Island, Taking the Tram, the East Village, South Street Seaport, Rockefeller Center, 34th Street, Greenwich Village, Brooklyn Culture (Botanical Gardens) and Brooklyn Bridge.  Throughout the rest of my writing I will keep you updated on where the cards take me and the adventures I have along the way!

And I'm taking ideas on where to go... Michigan?  L.A?  Nashville?  Asia?  The possibilities are endless...

No comments:

Post a Comment